David Bowie portrait and catching up.

I’ve been quite productive for the last few months and thought it was time for a catch up.

As you know from the last post on the blog, Self Portrait In The Third Person is finished.

Here’s some extra details …my world in a sketchbook. I made this little book last year and it’s full of tiny pages of interesting stuff.

The glorious splash of colour from the sunflowers are a reminder of the sheer joy of the flowers, summer, working on something I like, and just a lovely mix of oranges and yellows – my fave colours.

As well as finishing this piece which was quite a marathon, I’ve also been working on Poisonous Plant and should finish it finally this weekend!

I started another visual diary too and bought this concertina sketchbook to make a running story of places I’d visited. Sadly the paper turned out to be very absorbent and not suitable for lots of wet media, so I’ve abandoned it.

I’ve also been investigating printing presses and found them far too expensive for the use I’d give them, so I opted for a die-cutter which can double as a press. It works quite well, and I’m pleased with the results so far. These two collagraphs were made ages ago after following a DMTV video. I used masking tape and parcel packing tape and a water based printing ink.

Have you been watching The Great Painting Challenge on the BBC? You can tweet and instagram them you work which is fun. I sent them the portrait called Dalit Woman which I’d done ages ago, and rather wonderfully, it made it to their website this week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4tX4l3NZ2lw6p2P0jTtR2vn/your-artwork-week-4-portraiture?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_arts&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=scotland

It’s encouraged me to continue my own painting a bit more, and I’ve done a portrait of David Bowie. It’s just about finished I think. It was quite difficult to do as the eyes are not only different colours, but following an accident the pupil on his left eye is locked open. His lips were also more complicated than they looked, but I was working from a very low resolution image I found on the internet. I also used Open Acrylics but will go back to oils as I’m not happy with the smoothness of the flesh tones.

I put a black and white filter on it, and do you know, I think I prefer it!!

And finally here’s some pages from the printed book I’ve been making.

 

 

Save

Save

Save

Save

Be the first to comment

I love to read your comments, thank you.