Talking Heads Number 1

I’m waiting for some suitable photos before starting The Last Vision – it shouldn’t be too long. In the meantime, I’ve started a small hanging in another series called Talking Heads.

One of the first things I wanted to do for this piece was to overprint some fabrics to use as a background. I wanted neutrals in the light to medium range.

 

This one was done with a very old Indian print block that was almost worn smooth – it did a great job considering!

This makes 4 prints.

I have begun to piece the fabrics into the background, adding a little colour here and there.

One of my Talking Heads (there are 5) will have the phrase “A Little Bird Told Me” stitched onto it, and I’ve made a body for the head by cutting holes in a piece of bondawebbed fabric. A little bird yet to be drawn, will sit on the shoulder of the body and be moulting feathers. The idea was to put pieced cloth under the holes, but I’ve decided that looks too fussy, so will go with something plainer.  My inner trypophobe is much happier with the pieces that cut out to be honest, so I might change my mind about which I use at some point!

 

2 Comments

    • Hello Leslie, Thank you! In this case I’m using Open Acrylics. I would sometimes use thickened dyes to print but it’s not necessary in this case as I just wanted to add a bit of texture to my cloth, and the printing is not heavy so won’t make the hand of the fabric too stiff. It works fine and dries quickly, but not so quickly that you don’t have time to think! They are my favourite paints to use for this job and for monoprinting.

I love to read your comments, thank you.